History of Hyde Spiritualist Church

The name "HYDE" is derived from the hide, a measure of land for taxation purposes, taken to be that area of land necessary to support a peasant family. In later times it was taken to be equivalent to 120 acres.

Hyde Spiritualist Church, George Street was first established in the early 1890's by the grandparents of Mrs Gladys Hyde and remained at George Street until 1974 where it had to be demolished to allow for the area to be re-developed, namely the new M67 motorway. So in 1975 a plot of land located on Great Norbury Street was purchased and a new church was built. This was opened in 1975 by Mr Gordon Higginson the then President of the Nation Spiritualist Union.  

Mr Eric Hyde was the Church President from 1950 until he sadly passed away in 1994. His wife Gladys was the treasurer who also played the church organ for many years, even after Eric had passed away. This she continued until she could no longer play due to ill health.

Gladys sadly passed away in 2010 at the age of 95 and was still a member of the church until she moved to the higher life. Mrs Doreen Hinds became the President in 1994 after the passing of Eric Hyde and currently still serves the church as its President.

Hyde Spiritualist Church has always been popular church, and all who attend including the Mediums say they find it an extremely warm and friendly church.

The committee work very hard to help create this atmosphere and ensure it remains welcome to all. Currently there are many varied services, workshops, lectures, special events and healing, all of which you will find the information on our home page.

George Street

The Brunswick or "Brunnie" as it was more commonly known stood on George Street and was established in 1843 by John Wood.

In 1891 the Brunswick was described as a fair House with beds for five people and was owned by Annie Wilkinson. The Brunswick had a large concert room at the back and this was used as a music hall for many years in the 1930's- 1940's.

The room was later used by many organisations including budding pop groups and weightlifters amongst others.

Next door to The Brunswick is Allotts Removals firm (currently still trading in Hyde) and finally the Spiritualist Church located at the end of the row.

George Street's location was from it's starting point at Edward St, (at this point it was known as George Street West), then crossing Rochfort Street, Catherine Street, Elizabeth Street, Newton Street, Clarendon Street, Hamnett Street, John Street, Russell Street and finally ending at Hoviley Brow.

During it's life George Street was one of the longest streets in Hyde and at various periods boasted around 12 public houses.

At the bottom end of George Street was a large factory known in the early days as Brookside Hat Works, later taken over by Oldham & Fogg Felt Hat Makers and then by Northide Ltd who made protective clothing.

In 1833 a small chapel was built on George Street for the "Methodist New Connexion" Church. This was later substantially enlarged incorporating school premises and a small burial ground in 1858. The name of the church was changed in 1907 to the United Methodist Church.

George Street was virtually eliminated when the new motorway was constructed in the late 1970's, I say virtually because you can still walk on a part of what was George Street West. If you go down Edward Street, near to the railway bridge on Manchester Road, the area at the very bottom, approx the width of the road square, was part of George Street West.

Hyde Spiritualist Church Presidents
Mrs Doreen Hinds 1994 - Present
Mr Eric Hyde 1950 - 1994